Tuesday 9 October 2012

Snow in the autumn

"Anouska could not hide her incalculable delight at seeing snow, especially this early in the year. It should have been autumn, not winter. However, thick flakes descended from the sky, and Matt looked out of the window of the house to watch in amazement. He noted also the wind had picked up, as snowflakes were blown this way and that and sloshed against the glass."

Remaining Word Count: 46,966

Hi all. Well, I managed a good session on The Black Tree, writing 2,962 words, reducing my total ever further.

The book is beginning to take shape. It's wonderful to have just a basic synopsis, and then flesh a storyline around it. I'm feeling it's a very organic book, it's being written just with thoughts at the time of writing, rather than a concrete 'set in stone' list of doing things. I'm sure every writer has their own mechanisms, but this serves me well, and gives me surprises while I write it!

One of these organic ideas I've come up with is that of snow coming earlier in the year than normal, and this plays its part in the book. I won't go into detail with this idea here (in fact, it probably needs more work to make it fit properly in the book - that'll come later).

It is great fun to write like this, I'm having a ball with this book. Unlike my other work in progress ('The Dark Shores') which has clear goals and structure to it, this one I'm just having fun and going with the flow of my mind (or my unconscious mind), and this in some way reflects the true me. The genre of horror is also a different beast for me, much used as I am to writing fantasy, but in some ways I'm finding it easier to visualise.

Still a lot of work left ahead of me! More, as always, when I've written it.

No comments:

Post a Comment